5 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: 1013267-bigthumbnail.jpg]
I would love to adopt a dog. We are not allowed dogs but are allowed to have cats, birds, fish ect. When we moved in we had a cat, who sadly passed away 9 months ago. Since then we have adopted a female cockatiel (with no intention of getting another cat). A few days ago I visited an animal shelter to tease myself with dogs, but ended up falling in love with the sweetest little white blue-eyed kitten and I am now tossing up whether or not to go back and buy him.
On one hand, adopting a new animal is a big responsibility. I am a Uni student with 1.5 years to go on my degree. I am renting, but have awesome landlords and no intention of moving until we buy our first house. We have a cockatiel. Litter smells bad, and a white fluffy cat will be hellish in terms of shedding.
On the other hand, I have never regretted owning an animal and I really miss falling asleep with a purring cat. I've even missed waking up to annoying 'let me out' meows. I kept all of my old cats things, so I am all set besides a collar, kitten food, and new kitty litter.
I haven't straight-up asked my landlords about dogs. If I later convince them to let me have a dog, the kitten will effect how soon I will be able to afford the dog. But if I wait to ask and they say no, the kitten will be sold by then and I doubt i'll find another like it.
On that note, my landlords live out of town and I've seen them once in 12 months. I would have to ask them to make a special trip to the city to talk to them about it or wait until they are in the area. They are techno-phobes, so talking on the phone or texting isn't ideal, and seems indirect and a bit disrespectful.
Help me decide anon. I adore cats, but arrg.. Tough choices! I miss having a companion, but I don't want to make an irresponsible choice.
19 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: 395108_10151081969150997_240500490_n.jpg]
So, sometime last year, I went to a yard sale and noticed a sign that said free puppies. I failed my willpower check and had to go see them.
This is Tasha. There was no hesitation, she walked right up to me, was responsive friendly and confident, all prize traits in a puppy.
Now, I'd like to preface by explaining the function my dogs serve, my mother lives in the middle of the desert, and our dogs are basically farm dogs, their only purpose is to alert us to the presence of trespassers and deter burglary (I don't know if they'd actually harm anyone, but we haven't socialized them properly either).
That said, I knew I probably should have resisted the urge to bring home a new puppy, but I had an inkling we would be losing another dog soon (our smallest was recently eaten by coyotes, so I was right). We need 2-3 to have a good balance, a lone dog doesn't do much to drive people off.
Now, a year ago we were doing a bit better financially, but after I left the state chasing a for-sure job offer in a venture that led to homelessness, I had to come back home again. My mom has never been rich, and she typically doesn't have much during the summer, as she works for the local school district. She's also been the victim of ID theft that has garnished her wages over the last year.
I just need a little assistance to give Tasha shots, microchip and spay. I'll tell you about our other dogs while the thread is up. We've had around 20 dogs over the years, most of which were rescues.
8 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: dxme-jaundice-image.jpg]
My cat is an 18 year old female with diagnosed chronic renal failure and high blood pressure. Two nights ago I noticed that she wasn't eating and seemed lethargic, which wasn't concerning - she gets that way sometimes if I wait too long to give her SQ fluids. I gave her the usual fluid dose, but the next evening she still refused food and seemed a little lethargic and depressed. Worried, I gave her a second dose of fluids and decided I'd take her to the vet if she hadn't perked up by Friday. Today nothing has changed, and in addition her ears, gums, and the skin around her eyes have yellowed. I know this to be jaundice and this has never happened to her before.
I'm extremely worried and trying to figure out whether or not this can wait until tomorrow? I can afford to take her to the vet (I'd pawn anything I own to pay for her treatment if necessary), but since it's the 4th the only one open is the emergency clinic, where I'd have to pay $110 just for walking in the door and all tests/treatments would cost at least half again what my vet charges. I don't know whether or not I'm over-reacting and can't be careless with my money since I'm currently only working part-time. I'm just sick with worry, I'll probably be cancelling my 4th plans to stay home with her.
7 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: Jack1.png]
Two days ago my cat started looking like his eye was hurting him. It's brown and leaky. We're flushing it constantly with saline solution, but I don't know if it's getting any better. We're planning on waiting another day or two before taking him to the vet, but if it's something that'll clear up with the solution we're using, we'd rather not put him through the stress. Could I get your opinion on this?
He's still purring his little head off, but he hasn't been running around as much as he usually does. He's about a year old, and purely indoor.
Pic related, it's his infected(?) eye. I'll post a picture of him without it. He tries to keep it closed all the time.