32 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: ]
hey /sci/ lets talk about math jobs for those of us who have tread down the applied math path.
we'll take economics, statistics, physics, and comp sci in our conversation too.
what's popular these days? what are you currently doing? what do you want to do?
>22, applied mathematics, Berkeley
>interning at a bank in SF doing statistical stuff. (quant)
although trying to get into software engineering, i feel thats where the fun is.
29 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: ]
The first ten prime numbers are
02, 03, 05, 07, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29...
Is there a prime number when turned around (the 1st digit becoming the 2nd and the 2nd the 1st) it's still a prime?
For example 13, changes to 31, which is a prime.
Are there any other primes like this?
Is this problem known?
3 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: ]
How does one find the critical region for an ABX test, i.e. a hypothesis test where
[eqn]H_0: \quad p>0.5[/eqn]
[eqn]H_1: \quad p=0.5[/eqn]
Where p is the probability of determining correctly an audio file X from a selection of audio files A and B upon listening.
I'm capable of testing with the hypotheses reversed, since the probably of guessing correctly just adheres to [math]B(n,0.5)[/math], but I've no experience of this case.
I suspect it is of relevance to confidence intervals, but haven't the background to know.
21 more posts in this thread. [Missing image file: ]
Hello, what I have here are a mix of philosophical questions i have congnized during our deep thinking sessions in class, where we sit in silence and ponder quandarys of the universe.
Feel free to answer any you think you might know.
1. If the universe is infinite, Earth must be at the center of the universe and the Bible was correct?
2. If the universe is infinite, why is the night sky not lit up completely by stars?
3. If the universe is not infinite, how did the big bang happen in the first place?
4. If evolution exists, then why is earth not overrun by trees as big as sky scrapers sucking up all the sunlight and water?
5. If time is relative, then why do we all age at the same time?
6. If time is relative, then why is light speed a constant and absolute, when light also has its own time?
7. If genes are hereditary then why are some black children born white with red hair?
8. If time is the 4th dimension, and 4D is a degree higher than 3D, then why does it behave as 2D (forward, back)?
9. If nothing can escape a black hole and there is a black hole in the center of our billions-year-old galaxy then why has it not consumed everything already?
10. If time travel into the past is impossible, then how is time travel into the future theoretically possible when the future is some other future's past?
11. If schrodinger's cat is both alive and dead, then how come when you open the lid the cat is always alive?
12. If intelligence is hereditary and everyone started out with 100 IQ, then how do we get popular sci geniuses like numberphile and michio kaku?
13. If scientific method is pure and absolute, then why do we need peer review?
14. If light is a particle and a wave, then why do we never see tidal waves of light in the sky?
15. If no religions have a base in reality, then how did we think of them in the first place?
16. If scientists are left brained and artists are right brained, then what about an artist who paints science?
Possibly more to come